Well It is not about which is a better OS overall, but which suited me better. Please read ahead for knowing further..
Generally the applications I use/dependant in a desktop:
Things I like:
PCLinuxOS(/Ripper Gang) did a really nice job in giving a very polished setup and collecting very good packages for PCLinuxOS 2007. I was not able to configure my KDE env in any other distro as good looking as the one how PCLinuxOS looks by default. And when I started setting up my box, I was just giving it a try and was thinking, "It must be another Linux, and I have to spend ages setting it up right to my preferences and applications". Amazingly it only took me 2 days of time(Including things I setup which I am going to use remotely). And its zooming faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast(well atleast in my box :) ). At one point I was even worried since I missed getting my hands dirtier in certain set ups. I will recommend it for anyone who wants to try linux(or even advanced users). Good thing was all the multimedia codecs were available "out of the box". (I mean, except for windows media codecs) 99% of the softwares I needed, I was able to get from the repository. (The remaining 1% is for setting up IE, Eclipse). Packages include Synaptic, Firefox, thunderbird, PCLinuxOS control center.
Things I am concerned:
1. I had to install ntfs-3g externally and do some configurations for mounting my ntfs harddisk. It would be great if Tex decided to include it in newer version.
2. I am waiting for the newer version to get released. But I dont know the exact schedule when it is going to get released. Sure I know it is for good. But it would be great if they atleast announces a tentative date.
3. Documentation in some areas need to be improved. I was not able to set up kopete over a proxy server. I knew I could somehow do it, but I was never able to find the right steps. I had to stick to Pidgin
4. I had to use lot of GTK2 applications which I feel does not fit well with KDE. Some applications I can say are Firefox, thunderbird, synaptic, pidgin, gparted(I might be wrong in thinking some applications uses GTK2 here). Whenever I use these applications, because of their performance and integration, I thought it would be better to use gnome(though its boring & sloooooow, this was one of the reasons for me in ubuntu right now...)
Things I was not able to do with Linux:
Sun Secure desktop Client.
It is a very good OS for a desktop if you have internet (and was not able to configure pclinuxos for some reason ;) ). It has huge repositories and eyecandies. But the policy of Ubuntu of not using proprietory software is a big stumble stone for someone who is newly starting up with Linux newly. Sure lot of help available over net. But for someone without net(if you are thinking, Yeah it is definitely possible and most people in India doesn't have net yet) it will not be a good choice. And setting up of the system took me almost a week(and I am still doing :( because gnome does not offer much configuration options). But since I have most of the ubuntu setup in my new laptop, I dont want to switch back to PCLinuxOS until the new version arrives. To be frank, I am not impressed. Ubuntu is too slow even with most of the services I configured not to start up with sysv. Boot chart shows time until log screen is 30:30. I have to change net to dhcp in home and static in workplace along with hostnames. In those cases, Ubuntu takes forever to log me from the login screen. Even sudo command takes a lot of time. But I had learned to live with it. And I dont want to waste another week of my productivity in setting up the system. So I ll stick with ubuntu for now. Reasons I chose Ubuntu are:
1. Excellent repository
2. Really responsive communtiy
3. NTFS supported from gutsy version. So I dont have to cross my fingers when I partition my disk(Yeah I know ntfs-3g is in beta stages. But so far it was very reliable for me)
When I tried kubuntu, I didn't get the same kind of attraction I got towards PCLinuxOS. Might be its just my taste :) so its ubuntu for me now...
The above comments are my personal and are from ONLY my experiences. You always have a choice to differ from it. After all "Its choice, which makes good people good" :)